Friday, January 29, 2010

D.U.B. Pies - Park Slope



On a recent Sunday afternoon, I met a friend at the west corner of Prospect Park (the corner near the Pavilion movie theater).  Since it was Sunday afternoon, obviously I had a hangover and so I was looking anxiously towards a second cup of coffee.  My friend suggested we go to D.U.B. Pies to get this special Australian style latte called a "hot white".  Going to food places (this place specializes in meat pies and pastries) is fine by me, and I feel perfectly comfortable judging them under the same harsh lens as I would a coffee-only establishment. In fact, I usually find that places that serve food are more likely to have Sweet 'N Low than just coffee shops.

The "hot white" is basically a plain old latte, my friend tried to tell me there was something different, but he couldn't specify that was.  My friend is the kind of person who brushes his teeth with actual baking soda, so I do take his opinions on food with a grain of salt.

No worries here, a latte is perfectly delicious to me.  No disappointment, no resentment at what was a leeeetle bit pricey for a smallish latte.  That was…… until I saw that the counter offered only white, brown, or yellow packets.  No pink. 

So whatever might have been special and wonderful about this "hot white" latte, I'll never know, because to me it tasted like drinking the juice strained out of a baby's diaper.

My hangover only inflamed from here on out.

Down Under Bakery (D.U.B.) Pies
211 Prospect Park West
Brooklyn, NY 11215
(corner of 16th St)

No comments:

Post a Comment